Here is a quick visual guide to the different types of plastic.
The 7 Resin Identification Numbers aka Plastic Numbers aka Recycling Numbers aka Plastic Code.
- Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE): This is a common type of plastic used in containers for soda, water, and other beverages. It is also used in clothing and carpets.
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE): This type of plastic is used in milk jugs, detergent bottles, and other containers that need to be durable and chemical-resistant.
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC): This is a versatile plastic used in piping, flooring, and other construction materials, as well as in packaging, toys, and other products.
- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE): This type of plastic is used in plastic bags, squeezable bottles, and other flexible packaging.
- Polypropylene (PP): This plastic is used in a wide range of products, including ropes, carpets, food containers, and car parts.
- Polystyrene (PS): This is the plastic used in foam cups and containers, as well as in some toys and packaging materials.
- Other: This category includes all plastics that do not fit into one of the first six categories, such as bioplastics and multi-layer plastic packaging.