In late September 2022 it was announced that Singapore is exploring the setup of a deposit and return scheme that may be rolled out in 2024.
Under the scheme, consumers would need to pay a returnable “deposit” on designated plastic bottles and aluminum cans. They can get this deposit back at Reverse Vending Machines when those bottles are returned.
What it means to consumers
- there will be a deposit of 10-20 center per container
- it will apply to all pre-packaged drinks in plastic bottles and metal cans between 150ml and 3 litres
What it means to businesses
The scheme encourages drink producers & retailers to promote recycling by giving them a financial incentive to increase recycling rates.
- Beverage producers and retailers are charged a fee by an administrator of the scheme for reach drink manufactured or imported
- This fee is passed on to consumers via a deposit add to the price of the drink
- when consumers return the containers for recycling at a collection point, they get the deposit back
- The scheme administrator sells the containers to waste companies
- Part of the revenue from the sales is used to fund the scheme's operating costs.
- The remainder is distributed to beverage producers as an incentive to get them to encourage recycling.
20 Sep 2022 - 14 Oct 2022 (Closed)